Skip to main content

Nancy Has Nightmares


 In the early period of the Nightmare on Elm Street series the boiler room seemed just so much more distinctively eerie, so much more sinister. It was as if you could get lost within that place, such a significant place for the menace living within its nightmare walls, a location where he felt right at home. Not just there but anywhere, the menace could use it as just a starting place for his playground, living free within that realm, gleefully delighting in the pleasures allowed him.



If Tony Moran can reap the benefits of a face shot in "Halloween" (1978), why can't Leslie Hoffman get a little love as a stand-in hall monitor for Fred as he has some fun with Nancy? I ask that because Moran is not in the good graces of Halloween fans right now. Even Danielle Harris has somehow gotten involved in that guy's mess, but if someone can reap the benefits of a popular franchise, I don't see why Hoffman can't get some love by a Freddy franchise fan like me. So here is to you, Leslie Hoffman. Though, I will say I love Nancy's response to the question about "Where's your pass?": Nancy retorts, "Screw your pass." How many students have said that in their mind to hall monitors?


I still think the image above with Tina in the body bag (and later when her bloody arm flops out onto the school hall while being dragged behind a wall) is probably the creepiest/scariest of the film. God, her body calling to Nancy just sits on my mind every time I watch this film. And this doesn't even have Freddy at all. This is all filmmaking creative where Wes and company have such freedom to concoct whatever they want without certain restrictions in realism.


Of course, the opening "block" with Freddy's "glove introduction" before Tina and the boiler room credits gets those juices flowing, readying for Fred and his eventual carnage, I still like this film's trips through this location, first with Tina, and later with Nancy. With Tina, we just get Fred in brief spurts. Just a taste, so to speak. This really shows us that you don't have to really give us too much so soon.


My daughter pointed out the palm trees. I told her that Carpenter and Hill in "Halloween" hoped to avoid that in order to present their suburbian small town as that "someplace Illinois", while the first Nightmare on Elm Street established Springwood, Ohio, which is obviously yet another mistake ruined by palm trees. I just thought this was amusing since it was my daughter that brought it up while I was paying attention to Nancy and Glen (Depp) talking about "survival" and how to combat "bad dreams".


Every time I see this shot as Tina pops up after Fred comes from behind her is just Craven at his very best. So often Wes is called overrated or gets that rep of "overhyped", but I see a shot like the above with Tina right up at us with that crucifix in the background, later dropping to the ground when Nancy is in the same bed and I retain such an appreciation for what he gives us in this film. When I watched this film on Friday nights in the past, in my youth, I always credited the opening of the film for why it hangs on the brain far into the next morning. Friday nights will always be prime 1984 Elm Street time for this fan.

There is a YouTube podcaster I really like who is also a horror novelist with a good channel that speaks in depth about the genre in the literary world, while he dedicates a lot of time to "the community". He wants the genre to flourish, remain vital and strong both in book-form and film. When he's talking to someone or multiple fans (or those involved in horror in one way or another) you can just see him expressively groan when the big franchises are brought up and discussed in length. I swear you can see him gradually die inside. I can only imagine when sections of horror fans visit their favorite Youtube pages and blogs, they probably want anything but yet another article or video on "A Nightmare on Elm Street" or "Friday the 13th" or "Halloween". But there are also plenty of horror fans who just fucking love franchise talk. It remains so interesting and fun even after decades and millions of words talked about and written on these franchises. I know, I know, that I will remain a blog that gives time and attention to the franchises. Little blog entries here or there, pieces that come and go. I'm one voice among millions who just love to talk about these franchises.



My daughter really wanted a Freddy weekend where we just marathon all the Elm Street films in like a day or so, but I dunno...I think I want to let the films breathe a bit. I've marathoned these bad boys in the past in quick succession and the experience can lose some of its staying power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collector's Corner: Star Wars

Just a fun little idea. A few keepsakes of the past.

Red Shoe Diaries - Safe Sex

 A rainy night in NYC, Joan Severance,  a fashion designer, is offered a ride in a taxi cab by fellow occupant, Stephen Bauer, who flirts with her, even providing his coat to "keep her warm" since her dress was damp and the night cold. Eventually the cab stops at Bauer's apartment complex, and he convinces Severance to come up to his flat. Eventually Bauer is seducing Severance, unable to resist her innermost desires and ready to just take him up on Tuesday and Thursday hookups, agreeing to nothing serious.  But can these "meetups and fuck" with no relationship talks continue or will real feelings and want for something more develop? When Severance's brother dies and she happens to spend the night, Bauer reiterates his displeasure in breaking the arrangement set up by them both. Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries was, to me, a rather corny exercise in why so serious? softer-than-softcore Showtime Channel "entertainment". Rarely was I ever actuall

Wrapping up the Syfy Twilight Zone Marathon for New Year's Day 2023

So I did watch "King Nine Will Not Return", "The Man in the Bottle", "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room" and "A Thing About Machines" during their live run Saturday, December 30, 2023. It was a rare deviation from watching the list of Syfy episodes as they were shown up until past Midnight after January 1st, 2024. I have fooled around with the idea of holding onto the Syfy episode list shown for the New Year's marathon and finishing it up this next weekend. It would be the first time I had recorded the entire Syfy episode marathon on the DVR (for YouTube TV) and watched a majority of it in order from start to finish if I decided to finish it this next weekend. I do admit that once the marathon is over it is like that excitement and nostalgic energy goes away. A little depression sets in actually. Since I was dealt with COVID during Christmas holidays, recovered and returned to myself, the Twilight Zone marathon was a big boost to my morale. S