Skip to main content

Final Exam (1981)/ Additional


 As Intruder was in closing credits mode, Tubi recommended Final Exam (1981) as the next watch, I had no plans this year to watch it. I really felt the last time I wrote about it on the blog, that would be it. I have nothing else to say about the plot, but my daughter was in the room and wanted to watch it, so I was like, "What the hell..." I totally get why a section of slasher fans -- and certain popular horror podcasters I pay attention to -- find Final Exam a bore. They watch the film over and over to try and discover just what value some of us find in it. Why, oh why, does anyone like it? I think, for me, it is just that kind of film I can play in the background while I put together a beast of a gargantuan novel of a review for Intruder. You know, my daughter just really enjoyed it. Boy, that machine gun practical joke on campus so Mark (John Fallon) could get that highly coveted 82 so his parents would continue paying for his car sure as fuck hasn't aged well. I told my daughter that just would not be allowed today. You can say that about A LOT of subject matter in the 80s. Even the coach (Elijah Perry, with the arrow shot from his bow caught in the hand by the killer, even as the killer was holding a butcher knife in his other hand!) gets a good giggle as does the security guard, taking the sheriff (Sam Kilman) to task for being deservedly pissed at all the hazing shit the frat on campus gets away with. Try that now...talking about being cancelled. Those with pitchforks and torches would burn you at the stake for that shit today. College kids collapsing to the freshly cut green lawn of the campus with fake blood on their chests in a heap as ski-mask frat numbskulls fire off blanks from machine guns as Joel S Rice's genius Radish flees to call the cops with students scattering and hiding...umm, yeah, not a good look today.



There is that moment where we see the plates with food go down that conveyor to the dishwashers as Courtney (Cecile Bagdadi) walks out of the cafeteria just for later when the killer himself (Timothy L Raynor) rides that same passage to pursue her. I can see some frustrated viewers questioning the reasoning behind following plates to dishwashers who take out garbage... "Why must there be such padding?", I can hear disgruntled viewers balk. Granted, there is barely any violence on screen, and what is leaves much to be desired. And the killer is just some burly guy. He leaps out of trees and catches arrows without a hitch. But he's still nondescript...a real no-no for many slasher fans.

My daughter seemed to really take to the cast of the film. I guess the way the film captures the college experience to her was interesting. The three ladies, Bagdadi, pretty blonde, DeAnna Robbins (having this weird affair with the chemistry teacher for better grades, bragging about how she's a better lay than his saggy "nearly 30" wife), and "falls in love with all the boys she dates", Sherry-Willis Burch, were interesting to her as was Rice's college dorm with the movie posters and Frankenstein Monster mask. Wildman (Ralph Brown), with his messy whip cream and goof-off personality and Mark seemed to irritate my daughter with their hazing torment of Burch's boyfriend of the film, Terry W Farren. That's my girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collector's Corner: Star Wars

Just a fun little idea. A few keepsakes of the past.

Red Shoe Diaries - Safe Sex

 A rainy night in NYC, Joan Severance,  a fashion designer, is offered a ride in a taxi cab by fellow occupant, Stephen Bauer, who flirts with her, even providing his coat to "keep her warm" since her dress was damp and the night cold. Eventually the cab stops at Bauer's apartment complex, and he convinces Severance to come up to his flat. Eventually Bauer is seducing Severance, unable to resist her innermost desires and ready to just take him up on Tuesday and Thursday hookups, agreeing to nothing serious.  But can these "meetups and fuck" with no relationship talks continue or will real feelings and want for something more develop? When Severance's brother dies and she happens to spend the night, Bauer reiterates his displeasure in breaking the arrangement set up by them both. Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries was, to me, a rather corny exercise in why so serious? softer-than-softcore Showtime Channel "entertainment". Rarely was I ever actuall

Wrapping up the Syfy Twilight Zone Marathon for New Year's Day 2023

So I did watch "King Nine Will Not Return", "The Man in the Bottle", "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room" and "A Thing About Machines" during their live run Saturday, December 30, 2023. It was a rare deviation from watching the list of Syfy episodes as they were shown up until past Midnight after January 1st, 2024. I have fooled around with the idea of holding onto the Syfy episode list shown for the New Year's marathon and finishing it up this next weekend. It would be the first time I had recorded the entire Syfy episode marathon on the DVR (for YouTube TV) and watched a majority of it in order from start to finish if I decided to finish it this next weekend. I do admit that once the marathon is over it is like that excitement and nostalgic energy goes away. A little depression sets in actually. Since I was dealt with COVID during Christmas holidays, recovered and returned to myself, the Twilight Zone marathon was a big boost to my morale. S