Skip to main content

Creepshow Saturday


I was thinking about a previous rating I had for Creepshow (1982). I gave it 9/10 on IMDb. I still think "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is a lot of fun, even if King was a cartoon, exaggerating Kabuki Theater style in his performance. I don't think Romero ever shot this with much hint of pure melodrama, but I still thought that conclusion was just tragic. Yes, Jordy was a lunkhead. But his fate was still, nonetheless, sad. He died all alone, his body practically a grassy knoll. King really goes out with the eyes and makes sure to emphasize his lack of intellect. "Meteor Shit!" is, to the day, a readymade meme. 

It is inevitable you will read of "Creepshow (1982) is overrated" when scowering the comments of a Letterboxd or user comments on IMDb. I'm the first to admit that I build the film up as a grandiose compilation of macabre tales that popped me as a teenager when I watched it in full for the first time in the early, early 90s. At summer camp one year as a kid, on movie night, "Creepshow" was picked as the film all of the youth wanted to watch, and our counselors were very lax on rules, allowing cursing, smoking, and horror film watching. I recall this fondly,obviously today. But then I remember parents discovering this somehow, really not okay with such allowances. I guess some of the kids blabbed. I can remember keeping my head down, a little scaredy-cat, while everyone else seemed to be having a good time. Nowadays, and for the last twenty or so years, "Creepshow" is essential summer or Halloween season viewing. But I wanted to revisit the sequel, Creephow 2 (1987) as well.

"Creepshow 2" was a film I first recall watching when I borrowed a VHS tape from my oft-mentioned uncle. It was, of course, recorded from HBO and, if I'm not mistaken, was actually viewed before the first "Creepshow" by me. "The Raft" is "The Crate" from the sequel to me; I think when you read from most of the comments about the second film, "The Raft" is brought up as the best of the three tales quite often. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collector's Corner: Star Wars

Just a fun little idea. A few keepsakes of the past.

Red Shoe Diaries - Safe Sex

 A rainy night in NYC, Joan Severance,  a fashion designer, is offered a ride in a taxi cab by fellow occupant, Stephen Bauer, who flirts with her, even providing his coat to "keep her warm" since her dress was damp and the night cold. Eventually the cab stops at Bauer's apartment complex, and he convinces Severance to come up to his flat. Eventually Bauer is seducing Severance, unable to resist her innermost desires and ready to just take him up on Tuesday and Thursday hookups, agreeing to nothing serious.  But can these "meetups and fuck" with no relationship talks continue or will real feelings and want for something more develop? When Severance's brother dies and she happens to spend the night, Bauer reiterates his displeasure in breaking the arrangement set up by them both. Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries was, to me, a rather corny exercise in why so serious? softer-than-softcore Showtime Channel "entertainment". Rarely was I ever actuall

Wrapping up the Syfy Twilight Zone Marathon for New Year's Day 2023

So I did watch "King Nine Will Not Return", "The Man in the Bottle", "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room" and "A Thing About Machines" during their live run Saturday, December 30, 2023. It was a rare deviation from watching the list of Syfy episodes as they were shown up until past Midnight after January 1st, 2024. I have fooled around with the idea of holding onto the Syfy episode list shown for the New Year's marathon and finishing it up this next weekend. It would be the first time I had recorded the entire Syfy episode marathon on the DVR (for YouTube TV) and watched a majority of it in order from start to finish if I decided to finish it this next weekend. I do admit that once the marathon is over it is like that excitement and nostalgic energy goes away. A little depression sets in actually. Since I was dealt with COVID during Christmas holidays, recovered and returned to myself, the Twilight Zone marathon was a big boost to my morale. S