Skip to main content
One thing I hadn't realized before was how long Schrader's film was. To reach the church conclusion where Satan awaits a great battle with Merrin, I guess what we get was rather underwhelming. I guess we are just conditioned to expect this great "fire and brimstone" spiritual combat where a mere mortal is up against a fallen angel with cunning and devious chicanery. The devil (in a fully formed Billy Crawford, who was more than a bit worse for wear when first seen, now having command of his arm and leg, looking fit and trim) will attack Merrin with psychological warfare. Sure some giant insects fly from his mouth, but Sarsgard no sells their effects. By that point, Merrin was no longer in a state to be effected by such nonsense.

I think Schrader going with the awful hardship of Merrin at the beginning of the film--a cruel Nazi general ordering the priest to tell him who among the Jews in the village had put a knife in the back of one of his soldiers, found slain in a ditch as the war is concluding, and if he doesn't do so, ten among the number would be shot--really sets up the message that is of serious significance to Schrader: how does a man of God continue telling others that their deity is a loving and caring father when so much horror exists that is hard to deny? That spiritual unrest and "bump in the road" (called a "sabbatical" in the film) holds Merrin back from truly being able to conquer a very real evil most certain to be a scourge if not culled.

I just wish this film had an evil that sent me chills like "Howdy" in The Exorcist
(1973). In Schrader's Dominion (2005), I was never truly unsettled or held in a firm grip of unease. I think it is because Schrader had the budget for the location, church, and cast, but not for special effects which could give form to Satan and make him a real menace. Crawford, to me, even with colored eye contacts and mangled teeth, just never truly left me bothered or unnerved. He just wasn't scary. I think I personally needed to feel that in order to seriously consider Merrin's adversary a major menace that gave me a throat gulp. And I think because of that the film never really resonates or remains with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collector's Corner: Star Wars

Just a fun little idea. A few keepsakes of the past.

Red Shoe Diaries - Safe Sex

 A rainy night in NYC, Joan Severance,  a fashion designer, is offered a ride in a taxi cab by fellow occupant, Stephen Bauer, who flirts with her, even providing his coat to "keep her warm" since her dress was damp and the night cold. Eventually the cab stops at Bauer's apartment complex, and he convinces Severance to come up to his flat. Eventually Bauer is seducing Severance, unable to resist her innermost desires and ready to just take him up on Tuesday and Thursday hookups, agreeing to nothing serious.  But can these "meetups and fuck" with no relationship talks continue or will real feelings and want for something more develop? When Severance's brother dies and she happens to spend the night, Bauer reiterates his displeasure in breaking the arrangement set up by them both. Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries was, to me, a rather corny exercise in why so serious? softer-than-softcore Showtime Channel "entertainment". Rarely was I ever actuall

Wrapping up the Syfy Twilight Zone Marathon for New Year's Day 2023

So I did watch "King Nine Will Not Return", "The Man in the Bottle", "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room" and "A Thing About Machines" during their live run Saturday, December 30, 2023. It was a rare deviation from watching the list of Syfy episodes as they were shown up until past Midnight after January 1st, 2024. I have fooled around with the idea of holding onto the Syfy episode list shown for the New Year's marathon and finishing it up this next weekend. It would be the first time I had recorded the entire Syfy episode marathon on the DVR (for YouTube TV) and watched a majority of it in order from start to finish if I decided to finish it this next weekend. I do admit that once the marathon is over it is like that excitement and nostalgic energy goes away. A little depression sets in actually. Since I was dealt with COVID during Christmas holidays, recovered and returned to myself, the Twilight Zone marathon was a big boost to my morale. S