Skip to main content

Barbara Crampton



Word of warning: I have added some nude photos so if you do not like seeing a beautiful woman naked leave this blog post now.


Barbara Crampton (along with Rebecca DeMornay in Risky Business and Linnea Quigley in The Return of the Living Dead) was one of the first women I desired sexually as a teenager introduced to nudity.



A fantasy dream girl of mine, Crampton represented everything I have ever been attracted to. She could lose herself into the ‘girl next door’ or some ‘scientist’ in glasses (like From Beyond) part, roles which might hide the sex kitten underneath the disguise. I, however, have admired her willingness to “go all the way” in roles which demand a certain degree of courage.



Let’s face it, naked, strapped to a gurney, with a severed head between your legs, I imagine it wasn’t easy performing in front of the camera in such a situation without a degree of reservation and reluctance. The character was violated in an absurd way unlike anything we had every seen at that time. Maybe not sexually, but having to endure that devious professor's severed head ogling her body, without her ability to thwart off his leering, Crampton properly showed the horror such a ordeal would elicit. How could she not encourage arousal, especially in a dominatrix outfit in From Beyond? Crampton, to her credit, seemed unencumbered with the fear of surrendering her naked flesh to roles she portrayed> Such moments as her clothes being torn off by her lobotomized father in Re-Animator at the request of Dr. Hill, while unconcious due to a shock, soon awakening to find herself tied to that gurney for the film's most notorious scene, had to acquire a bit of bravery because many would not allow themselves to be put in such a precarious position for the sake of an absurd scene such as that.



Still, I liked her performances in Stuart Gordon’s pictures featuring Crampton, such as her most famous Re-Animator and (my favorite) From Beyond, as characters who just didn’t appear in as bubble-headed idiots that drop their clothes on screen. I cared about both characters, and didn’t want harm to come to them although danger was almost a guarantee considering the threats that existed in those films.




She appeared sparingly in other films like Castle Freak and Robot Wars (and Puppet Master), but I will never understand why she never achieved B-movie goddess status she so richly deserved. I watched Chopping Mall a week ago and couldn’t understand why director Wynorski didn’t feature Crampton in a more substantial role because she could easily play a better part than some ditzy moron who makes these stupid decisions that get her burned alive.

I didn’t think she was the same as those many other dumb ass blonds who bounce their boobs and stumble over their lines while on all fours receiving a shagging doggy style. Maybe this is why she didn’t make a lot more movies after Chopping Mall, appearing in a semi-lead role in Castle Freak as the estranged wife of Jeffrey Combs, or featured as more or less a “special guest star” in something obscure like Robot Wars. I noticed she got a part in Rob Zombie’s Lords of Salem, so I smiled knowing that the director reached out to her to allow us to see Barbara once again.

As a 34 year old, I look back fondly at my teenage years when women like Barbara were so very vividly present in my mind, some might say I looked at her from purely lustful reasons, but I enjoyed not just her beautiful body, but those particular characters she portrayed before the interesting roles which could punctuate her sensual abilities on screen evaporated. Too bad, I wish there was as big a resume for Crampton as there is for Quigley who seems to have never stopped working. Perhaps Crampton simply wanted more quality parts while Quigley just wanted to keep working, but I hate that I can’t find a list of films with Barbara in them…you know goodies to discover.

I certainly get a geek thrill looking back at photos like the ones I have included here where she seems perfectly aware of her alluring qualities as a sexpot, uninhibited enough to establish her then-connection with sci-fi and horror.

Comments

  1. Word of warning: I have added some nude photos so if you do not like seeing a beautiful woman naked leave this blog post now.

    Well, it would seem you DID find that inspiration to continue after all.

    It's true Barbara doesn't have a big filmography, but up until the last decade or so, she did work in movies pretty regularly. She's actually logged what would, cumulatively, be a LOT more hours in front of the camera than Linnea--she's been an almost constant fixture on daily soaps since the late '80s. I don't know if she's working on one at the moment (because I don't follow 'em), but up until two or three years ago, she was on "The Young & The Restless."

    I imagine you'd join me, however, in seeing this as mostly an unfortunate use of her time. I suspect she wasn't entirely comfortable with the image she had from appearing in genre pictures, in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She certainly was beautiful enough to appear in soaps, but I'm just not a soap opera kind of guy, but I don't fault her for working; she needs to eat. As a sort of fantasy girl of mine, I was inspired, after watching Re-Animator, and lesser so with Chopping Mall, to write a piece about her. I found lots of good photos of her that probably serviced me more when I was a geek teenager than now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Scarecrow,

    I came upon your movie blogsite while doing research for my movie blog on WE'RE THE MILLERS. Thank you for posting pictures of Barbara Crampton. Yup, I, too, have fond memories of her from RE-ANIMATOR and FROM BEYOND!

    Cine-Man

    wwwcine-man.blogspot.com ( wwwcine- is one word, no "dot" in-between )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a second blog article on her titled "Barbara Crampton-From Beyond". She was a very beautiful woman, and this was a period Babs wasn't afraid to bare it all. I noticed she's in You're Next, and plan to check her out this Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Red Shoe Diaries - Safe Sex

 A rainy night in NYC, Joan Severance,  a fashion designer, is offered a ride in a taxi cab by fellow occupant, Stephen Bauer, who flirts with her, even providing his coat to "keep her warm" since her dress was damp and the night cold. Eventually the cab stops at Bauer's apartment complex, and he convinces Severance to come up to his flat. Eventually Bauer is seducing Severance, unable to resist her innermost desires and ready to just take him up on Tuesday and Thursday hookups, agreeing to nothing serious.  But can these "meetups and fuck" with no relationship talks continue or will real feelings and want for something more develop? When Severance's brother dies and she happens to spend the night, Bauer reiterates his displeasure in breaking the arrangement set up by them both. Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries was, to me, a rather corny exercise in why so serious? softer-than-softcore Showtime Channel "entertainment". Rarely was I ever actuall

Collector's Corner: Star Wars

Just a fun little idea. A few keepsakes of the past.

Wrapping up the Syfy Twilight Zone Marathon for New Year's Day 2023

So I did watch "King Nine Will Not Return", "The Man in the Bottle", "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room" and "A Thing About Machines" during their live run Saturday, December 30, 2023. It was a rare deviation from watching the list of Syfy episodes as they were shown up until past Midnight after January 1st, 2024. I have fooled around with the idea of holding onto the Syfy episode list shown for the New Year's marathon and finishing it up this next weekend. It would be the first time I had recorded the entire Syfy episode marathon on the DVR (for YouTube TV) and watched a majority of it in order from start to finish if I decided to finish it this next weekend. I do admit that once the marathon is over it is like that excitement and nostalgic energy goes away. A little depression sets in actually. Since I was dealt with COVID during Christmas holidays, recovered and returned to myself, the Twilight Zone marathon was a big boost to my morale. S